WHO WE ARE
The UConn School of Business Family Business Program provides family businesses with an ecosystem of resources designed to help nurture short- and long-term health.
Family business leaders and their employees have the opportunity to connect with academic and business professionals who provide often hard-to-find expertise in managing the complexity of multi-generational operations.
For Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
WHAT WE DO
Our program offers a variety of opportunities to engage the UConn resource ecosystem:
- Family Business Base Camp provides executive education for family businesses and the local resources that support them.
- Family Business Internship Program embeds undergraduate students inside family businesses to provide academic intelligence to business decision-makers.
- Social networking events include panel discussions and networking opportunities with other business owners and experts in academia and business.
- Connecticut Small Business Development Center, one of our partners, provides family businesses with a full menu of business advisory services.
- Faculty research programs provide business owners access to information on the most current trends and practices in family business.
- Undergraduate business curriculum in the School of Business educates students on running a family business.
- CTiHub website, our resource portal, providing details of our programs and services.
As the primary beneficiary or “end-user” of the Program, resources are dedicated to achieve the following outcomes:
- Develop academic courses and networking opportunities focused on creating measurable business value
- Make available a network of public and private resources
The Program will target these family-run business segments:
- Farms & Food
THE UCONN COMMUNITY
UConn is the Program creator and brand. Substantial benefit will accrue through programs targeting the following communities:
- Undergrad: Internships & Course
- Executive Education
60% of Connecticut Businesses are Family-Owned
Helping Family Businesses Grow and Thrive in Connecticut
“Miller Foods, Inc. is a fourth generation family owned and operated manufacturing business currently having three generations working side by side. We feel the UConn Family Business provides many valuable resources to help us innovate and grow our business. The Base Camp provides an overview of the modules that are most helpful to those either entering into the business, currently managing the business or seeking to transition out of the family business. Thank you UConn for providing a home for family businesses in the state of Connecticut and beyond.”
– Capri Frank, President, Miller Foods, Inc.
“Simsbury Bank is proud to support family-owned businesses in our communities. They are the backbone of our economy and it’s an honor to provide value-added education, activities and resources through our partnership with the UConn Family Business Program.”
– Martin J. Geitz, President & Chief Executive Officer, Simsbury Bank